Subject: Re: Pro Compiler Oddity
From: "Andrew Church" <[email-masked]>
To: "amos-list" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Sep 93 11:32:00 EST

>I got the Pro compiler the other day, despite my misgivings of getting the
>first version of anything, and have been pleasantly surprised by the way 
>it, well, works the way its supposed to.  It compiled all my programs
>correctly with one exception:  It changed the length of two of my music
>banks by +2.  This would not ordinarily be a problem except that I tell
>which piece of music is in which bank using lengths and swap in and out of
>bank three as needed.
>
>It seems strange that only two of the five music banks in the program are
>changed.  And it only happens with the stand alone option.  When I compile
>to AMOS it works just fine.  I worked around it without any problem (just
>started comparing approximate lengths rather that actual values) but I
>thought I'd report it in case anyone was keeping an actual error list.

  In an executable file, all "hunks" (file sections) need to have a size that
is a multiple of 4.  If the two banks that got a size adjustment were not
multiples of 4 (the size, not the bank number), that would be why.  (Although
why the compiler would store each bank in a separate hunk is beyond me; it
would make more sense to just put them all in the same hunk.)

  --Andy Church